Monday, March 17

spring has sprung... well almost

It was looking as though Spring was finally on the way-- sun, melted snow, warming temperatures-- but I think we've been fooled. Today I woke up to the wind and snow, which, to say the least, was an unwelcome surprise. On a spring-y note, my mom put daffodils in my room the other day and they have finally all opened.

They remind me of the poem "Daffodils" written in 1804 by William Wordsworth:

I wander'd lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine

And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretch'd in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they

Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

1 comment:

jillian said...

I saw a daffodil on my walk home yesterday from a coffee shop. There was justone and it was sprouting up out of a big bush. It made me think of you and the fact that you probably wanted spring right about now.
feels like juneau summer today and that isn't helping the already strong longing to go home and tur off my brain.
SEE YOU IN 4ish DAYS!!!